Writing Books/How to Organize a book?

My wife is thinking of writing a book. It will be a non fiction book biography.

I am just looking for basic information on how to organize the book? What is the basic format and/or outline for the book that she would be able to follow?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Dear Duke,
Thank you for your letter and request for information for your wife. At my site I have posted some articles, books, and links. A great book for non-fiction writers is "Writing the Natural Way." Also, for style, she should read "Elements of Style" (especially the last section) and "On Writing Well."
A good way to start a biography is to interview the subject, or if the subject is no longer around, interview people who knew the subject. Also, do a literature review to find out if anything has already been published. It's always a good idea to know exactly what's out there. No sense in duplicating someone else's efforts.
Also, if the subject is living, or is not considered a "public figure," you should try  to seek permission. It is possible to write an unauthorized biography, but it's more difficult and sometimes is not accepted as well in the literary world.
After the research comes writing the first draft. That's where "Writing the Natural Way" comes in. The technique of "clustering" helps download thoughts and ideas from the mind onto paper. Once she has her thoughts on paper, she can start to organize them into an outline, and then start to write the book.
If you have any further questions after reading the material at my web site, feel free to write back again.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme,, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne),, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West,,

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle,,, Apple Books, and others.