Writing Books/Outlining a novel

Question
How would I outline a novel step by step. Is there anything to do first, second and so forth?

Thank you for your help and sugestions

Answer
Hello Allan,

If you rate me on this I'll get a minus on 'knowledge'. I have never outlined a novel at all, much less step by step. I would find that stiffling, restricting and the process would interfere with my creative flow.  I know that there are many, many writers who do outlines and many publishers request outlines before giving advances, but there are also many writers who would not comply.

When I write, I begin with a sentence and continue on and on and on. Often I do not know what will happen until it does. My scenes unfold much as a movie reel and I am often as surprised by the action as my readers. My characters show themselves as they are needed and they help me direct the story and plot.

My readers tell me that my characters are believable, fresh and memorable. They say that the plots and action are so strong that they "can't put the book down."

You will have to find your route to successful creative writing and if you feel that outlining is your way, I recommend that you go to a college writing course to learn how; however, I find that path of "this is how it is done" totally stiffling. Perhaps you won't. There is room in this game for all of us and our various styles.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris