Writing Books/Poetry

Dear Mr. Wales,

I have a collection of poems which are set in a variety of styles, they are on a variety of subjects and range in length. I am trying to turn this into a published book and I am trying to find a literary agent-do you know of any good literary agents?

Thank you!

The agents with which I'm familiar are not ones who handle poetry, I'm afraid.

Truthfully, poetry is a very hard sell.  (Voice of experience, here... I've written quite a lot of poetry, myself.)  Unless you're the World's Greatest Unknown Poet, your chances of getting a collection of your work published in a traditional medium is pretty much zero.  You really need a track record of having individual poems published in magazines.

I'd recommend you pick up a copy of Poetry Market, published by Writer's Digest.  It's a very helpful book and should guide you well.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.