Writing Books/Point of View

Question
As a writer yourself, how do you feel about books with mixed POVs?  For example, Robert Crais--an author I read frequently--wrote a mystery/thriller book called The Forgotten Man where the POV teeters between the first-person POV of the protagonist and third-person chapters involving at least two or three other characters involved in the story?  Is that generally frowned upon?  I've considered rewriting my manuscript for a mystery novel to fit more into that style.  Should I just stick with the third person for all characters involved?  Which do you feel is more effective?  Thanks!

Answer
Hi, Al!

I'm tremendously impressed with those writers who can pull off mixed POVs. Another mystery author who does this well is J.A. Konrath. His "Jack Daniels" mysteries follow the heroine police detective in first person and the killer in third. Very well done and gripping. Personally, I've never mastered the technique, although I can write both first and third person books equally well (in my own humble opinion, of course... LOL!)

I'd say give it a shot, at least with a couple of chapters. Then, give it to someone who's read your other stuff and see if it works for them. All I can say is that there are enough people who write that way that it's not a barrier to getting it published and it can be VERY effective as a hook.

Good luck, and I hope to see it on the shelves some day! :)
Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp