Writing Books/Preface v. Foeword v. Introduction

Foreward or Foreword?
I agree that the distinctions are marginal. It seems they can be important in a "proper" context. Can you refer me to a source with more detail on these aspects?
Followup To
Question -
What are the distinctions/differences between a books "Preface", Foreword" & "Introduction"?
Answer -
Hello John!

Here are the dictionary definitions:

Preface:       Introductory Remarks

Foreward:      Situated in advance

Introduction:  Something that introduces

As you can see, there is very little difference between them, if any.  You may use whichever you like.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be appreciated. I am proud of my "straight 10" record over 150+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

I am sorry John, but I have no idea why one would be preferred in a "proper" setting. Perhaps if you could tell me what a "proper" setting is, and where you saw such a statement, it might help.

As far as I know, there is no real difference between them. I have never heard of one, and I have been poking around in this business for 30 years.

You might want to contact other experts in this category - maybe they know something I don't. Otherwise, all I can suggest is that you feed the terms into a search engine and see what you come up with.  Another person who might know is the librarian at your local library. Or at a local college library.

Sorry I ran out of answers so fast - and good luck in your search.

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication