Writing Books/Publishers

Question
I was told by someone to query publishers and not agents. But how do you locate a big publisher of fiction who accepts queries, sample chapters, etc. without an agent being involved?

I recall seeing only those publishers who use agents.

Answer
I'd suggest you put together a prospectus, have it duplicated, and send it to publishers that have previously published in the genre with which you're dealing.  Those who work only through agents will quickly identify themselves.  The others will review and respond to your prospectus.

You may find some guidance on this point in Writer's Digest's annual directory but I'm not aware of any comprehensive publication dealing with all publishers.

Writing Books

E.W. Brody