Writing Books/Publishing

Question
Hello.
I was wondering if you could possibly give me some advice. I've already finished one story and I'm currently working on my second, and funnily enough they're both science fiction stories. I noticed this was within your field and was hoping you may be able to give me some advice on how I might be able to get my stories published. Where would you recommend the best place to start looking for publishers? I live in the UK too if that narrows the options down in any way.
I would really appreciate any advice you may be able to give me.
Thanks
Matt

Answer
Matt:

It would probably be in your best financial interests to try for publication in the UK first, before going across the pond, if for no other reason than it'll save you on postage.

I'm not familiar with what sci-fi magazines are popular over there, but what you should do is head on down to your local large bookstore and go to their magazine section.  Find appropriate magazines and look through them.  They should all contain information on submissions.

Here in the States, we have a great publication called Writer's Market, which lists more magazines than you've ever dreamed existed, with contact info and how they prefer to be contacted, etc.  In the UK, I believe the equivalents are the Writer's and Artist's Yearbook and the Writer's Handbook.  Pick these up and check them out.

Of course, all this is assuming that you're really ready to submit for publication at this time.  The best advice I can give you, in all honesty, is to hold off for a bit.  Practice the craft for a while.  Finishing one story is just the tip of the writing iceberg.  Keep at it.  Take some classes, read some books, and become as good a writer as you can.  

Chances are high that the first attempts you make at publication will end in failure.  This is just the way it is.  And the chances are even higher if you're just starting out in this field.  I'd hate to see you, at this early phase of your career, become dejected by rejections and maybe throw in the towel out of frustration.  

So don't be in such a rush for publication.  It might be years before you're ready.  (Most writers who do get published don't do so for quite a while.)  Practice makes perfect, they say.  So see how good you can become in time!

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales