Writing Books/Publishing a book that needs photographs

My question is about photographs within the chapters of my book.  I have a complete manuscript that is ready to be pitched except for the photographs.  I'm not sure if I should provide these pictures myself or if this is something that is directed by the publisher.

Hi Edward:

I've had publishers contractually work this both ways.  First Books (Scholastic) stipulated in the contract that they would find the pictures for the bug book.  Crown and Random House, however, stipulated that I supply the pictures for the quilt book.

I'm assuming your book is nonfiction.  How important are the pictures?  I mean in the sense that do they have to be carefully matched to the text?  Are you the only one who could provide the pictures?  In that case, the publisher will probably ask you to provide them.  If the subject is widely investigated already, the publisher can find the pictures through non-copyright sources and save a ton of money.  In that case, the publisher will stipulate that they will provide the pictures.

Your best bet is to look up the publisher's guidelines on the internet.  If you've made a list of possible publishers, look them up and see what the guidelines say about pictures.  Also, while you're there, see if they publish books with pictures.  Illustrations are expensive and some publishers simply won't contract for a book that requires them.

If you want, please send me some more info on the topic of the book and then I can get more specific with my advice.

Good luck!

Liz Aleshire
Private Lives of Ministers' Wives

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire

What is a book proposal and why do I need one? Do I need a book proposal for both nonfiction and fiction books? How do I write a book proposal? What are the required components of a book proposal? What is an overview? What is a synopsis? How do I find out what other books are available on my topic so I can make my book different? How do I pitch to an agent/publisher? What's a query letter? What's a 30-second commercial?

I am the author of four nonfiction books: Private Lives of Ministers' Wives (with Rev. Sherry Taylor,New Horizon Press, New Jersey, 1991)and currently working on a second edition; Bugs: Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers (a FRanklin Watts Frist Book, Chicago, 1993); The Confident Collector Identification and Price Guid to Quilts (with Kathleen Barach, Avon Books, NY, 1992); and, Official Price Guide to Quilts 2nd edition(with Kathleen Barach, Random House, NY, 2003.) I've taught How to Write the Book Proposal for the past ten years at the week long International Women's Writing Guild annual summer conference, and, at the Manchester Community College Continuing Education program. I've taught in many local continuing education programs in central Connecticut. Five authors have sold books using my methods for writing the book proposal. I have spoken at the Big Apple Conference, an IWWG event held in NYC; both Connecticut chapters of the Romance Writer's of America other writing conferences

Internation Women's Writing Guild, past associate member American Society of Journalists and Authors

Books for New Horizon Press. NJ; Franklin Watts (Now Scolastic)Danbury, CT; Avon Books, NYC; and, Random House, NYC

B.A in Economics from the University of Connecticut

Past/Present clients
Carren Strock, author Married Women Who Love Women; Doris Larson, travel writer, Ohio; MaryLou Streznewsi author Gifted Grownups.