Writing Books/Query Letters

Question
What are the elements of a good query letter for a nonfiction magazine article?

Also, for a nonfiction book proposal, is the first step just sending the query letter and then the proposal if they're interested?

I went to your website.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Dear Alan,
Thank you for your questions. Let's sart with the book proposal. If your book is very unusual, a query letter is a good way to start. The publisher will know right away whether they're interested. If they are, they will ask to see more. Some people go ahead and send the whole book proposal, including sample chapters, but usually that is for fiction. It's also very expensive after a while.
re. magazine articles. If you have a good pitch letter (inquiry) and a good author's bio, that should be enough to get started. Magazines are looking for established writers who know their subject.
I have posted more info. at my writer's page:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
Recently I signed up for the WritersMarket.com membership and had good luck browsing through their listings. It's even better than their hard copy book because you can search their data base for the specific subjects you need. More about that posted in my article, "How to Find a Publisher."
I hope this helps. Best to you,
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster