Writing Books/Question about sources

I am interested in writing a resource guide for my hobby/craft. I want to include websites, stores (online & brick-and-mortar), designers, manufacturers, educational info, events, artists, etc. My question is: to include these people/companies do I have to get permission from each of these people? If so, should I send a form, asking for any additional information that they would like included? Thank you, Lona Trautman

Hello Lona:

What a fine idea! I'm sure you will find success with your guide among your hobby's fans.

Anything that is in the phone book is fair game. You don't have to ask anyone's permission (in a perfect world!) Remember, these are facts, and facts are not protected by copyright.

I approve totally of your idea to write them and ask if they have any material they'd like to include (not too blatantly commercial, we hope). I would also think they'd be mighty glad to have the publicity - for free! (Of course, if I were approaching them, I would ask if they knew anyone in the publishing industry who might be interested in my book!) Of course you can look in similar books at your library to see who publishes this kind of material.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 850 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication