Writing Books/Questions about book writing....

Hello Susuan,
    I have recently decided I would like to write a book, genre being fanstasy adventure. Ive created a plot, a few characters, my own little world in which they interact. **Short Storyline** A young boy is ablew to release his spirit from his Physical body and travel via portals into what i will call the "Spirit World", In this world there is an up-and-coming battle between good and evil (relating to Armageddon or the second coming of the Devils Regime in the Bible). This young boy is the one who must develop his Spirits magical abilities, and build an army to stop the devils oncoming.** I can explain it much better but Im trying to bhe easy on the reading here, and more focused on the question. I think I have a good start as far as creating background information, and a good storyline and original idea and character development.
This is the question...How do I begin to organize all of these ideas that im writing down, or how do i make others enjoy my world through writing? Im a pretty good creative writer, and i can create good detail. But where do I begin with my story with all of these great ideas? Do i just begin writing scenes, or should i create some sort of outline that will develop my story along, and fill in the blanks with imagination as i go?

Id like to hear a response from you, and if i seem unclear in my questions please feel free to ask any additional question and I can answer them to the best of my ability. Thank you!  

Hello Thane:

Many people want to write and have some ideas they like, but they don’t know how to get started. The problem is one of organization.

Getting started involves bringing this material under control and putting it into tangible form in a way that  suits your purposes. By “suits your purposes” I mean it guides and supports your writing and ensures you don’t put a foot wrong.

First, you must decide what kind of a book this will be. If you just want to write it and have fun with it but not necessarily to publish it, that's fine. But if you want to publish, and particularly if you want your novel to have depth and scope, you need a subject. Subjects (sometimes called "themes")are the big issues of life: love, hate, war, jealousy, education, etc. You must decide on a subject before you proceed.

Once you have your subject, you must decide on a premise. The premise is the one big thing you want to impress on readers about the subject - something your life has taught you. "War never solves anything," "The most important thing is love," etc. It doesn't have to be an absolute truth, rather it will reflect your conviction(s) on the subject. The easiest way to express your premise is through the character(s), one or more of which should change and grow through the story. The premise is the one big thing the character learns from the events of the story. This is the most important part of your book, so choose carefully.

Once you have your premise, get some 3x5 cards and on each, write a few sentences around a story event that supports it, and how. Keep going until you feel you have enough events to fill a book. Sort out the most important ones and list them in the order they will happen in the book. This is your outline. The rest of the cards can be fitted in any way that appeals to you.

When you are finished organizing your material, you are ready to write your first draft.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 800 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication