Writing Books/Real Settings

Question
My question is relatively simple, however it is one for which I have no answer. Does an author have to get permission to use a real place in a setting? For ex: If a writer uses Yale University as a setting, does he or she have to get permission from Yale?

Thank you,

DAVID

Answer
David, that is an excellent question. The answer is yes and no.

Each university has their own and unique copyright rules and laws within it's statures...

Some universities allow use of their name and mention, others definitely do not.

Contact Yale University directly and ask, or, if they (and probably do) have a web site, their policies of copyrights should be viewable.

When in doubt-- don't. Or at least, check it out first. Most copyright laws can be found at the National Copyright web site, but regarding name and reference usage-- contact that source directly.

I hope that helps.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett