Writing Books/Software packages in use

Question
Hi Tom

I would just like to ask if there are certain software packages which are industry standard. I currently use Microsoft Word but would like to become competant with others if necessary within the industry.

Many thanks

Simon

Answer
Simon
Great question.  There are a number of packages out there for print ready format applications.  Quark and Pagemaker are the two most used and photoshop for covers.  Quark and Pagemaker are priced at $600 plus and are tough programs with a long learning curve.  More folks with the advent of PDF are using MS Word and MS Publisher.  The use cost and time depend on where you want to take this.   Hope this answers your questions.
Tom

Writing Books

Tom Campbell