Writing Books/Starting a book

Question
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
-------------------------
Followup To
Question -
I'm going to write a book on horses, but I don't know how many character I should bring in. I don't want to many, but then again, I don't want so little, that it's not interesting. Could you give me some advice?
Answer -
Hello Taylor,

Is this to be a non-fiction work?  If so, I don't think that the number of horses you write about is important.

More important is that you write well and do your research thoroughly. Edit carefully so that your grammar, sentence and paragraph structure are correct.

By the way, how old are you? What grade in school?

Best wishes,
Dorothy

Dear Ms. Dorothy,
      No, I'm sorry, I am writing a fiction book. I did not specify that, or that I have human characters. I have a plot, which is that the girl's horse dies in the beginning, she gets another, and it is injured the same way, but lives. They must save it...blah blah.. I haven't figured out the rest yet. But, I wondered how many characters like humans I should bring in. I hope you can answer this question.

I am 13, and in the 7th grade.

Taylor
Answer -
Hello Taylor,

My advice is that you do not worry about how many characters. Begin to write the story and, believe me, when a character is necessary he or she will show up in your mind.  The character will also tell you who he or she is and will help you to create the story. Trust this.  As you write creatively, do not think about correct grammar, sentence structure, paragraph structure, or anything that could interfere with the creative flow.  When the story is finished you can do your editing, adding and deleting, rearranging, and all the work to make it a polished story.

If you don't understand this, let me know and I'll try to explain it more clearly.  In any case, keep me posted on your progress?
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Dear Mrs. Dorothy,
       I thank you for that advice. It sounds helpful, and as soon as I have the time to write more in my book, I'll use it.
       Thank you for being interested in my book. It is hard to ask my friends or family what they think, because they only want to please me....but someone who write professionally will be more helpful. I'll keep you post as well as I can.

Taylor

Oh, and happy New Year

Answer
Hi Taylor,

I would love to read your first complete rough draft. Don't mind the errors. I will only read for story line.

I also train horses and have two four year old mares now. I school them in dressage and jumping for my daughter to ride in competitions.  I have done this for over 35 years.

Happy New Year to you,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris