Writing Books/Starting out as a writer

Question
Hi Dorothy,

People have told me through the years I should write. Never done it - aside from song lyrics for myself. At age 47 now, I'm seriously considering starting a fiction story. I like the idea of describing characters in varied kinds of settings, developing personalities in a piece, letting my cross-cultural experience and - in my self-assessment 'open-mindedness' - flow into the story.
My question to you now: how would you start (keep in mind i have not written anything significant before)?
Thanks so much for your time!
Robert

Answer
Hello Robert,

I can only tell you how I go about writing a novel. Perhaps it will work for you.

I have to begin with an idea or a question to be answered. I have to select an era, a place and a setting. I have to know my first character. Then I sit down at the computer and I type a sentence. And I type another. Perhaps these two sentences are not very good, but I continue typing. This exercise releases my creative mind and gets me out of the "editing" mind or into the right brain and out of the left.  My characters show themselves as they are needed. They simply show up and they tell me who they are and what part they are to play. I allow them to help me write the story. And here is the most important thing I do. I do not edit, correct, re-write, polish, or even consider doing these things until I have a complete rough draft of my entire novel. The only thing I do is this: sometimes I feel the story going astray and I have to get back on track. But sometimes the going astray is where the story really needs to go and I go with it. It becomes a matter of "feel" and trust. Often I do not know what scene will be next or how the plot will develop or how the book with end until I get there or almost there. I have to trust my creative mind to lead me. It has never failed me. I also never allow anyone to read the story or any part of it until I have completed at least two rewrites.
Now to the rewrite process. This is where I restructure, cut and paste, delete, add, work for continuity, clarity and consistency and correctness. I do as many as 8 or 10 rewrites before I am totally satisfied that I have made the prose as balanced as possible.
I suggest you try this and see how you go. It may work for you as it does for me, or it may not. You may need to do the outline procedure. I never use outlines and could not if I wanted to.
Keep me posted and let me know if you are making progress.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris