Writing Books/Things that your life and work has taught you

Question
Dear Ms. Morris

As a young and aspiring author, I would be grateful to receive some of your wisdom and knowledge.

Hence the following question:

What things has your life and work taught you about the art of writing, especially based on your special interests and subject covered by your writing?

I'm open to any advice or feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

PS. If you could have me read and master the contents of one book or course, what would it be?  

Answer
Hello Brian,

I'll respond to your last question first. If I could have you read and master the contents of one course, it would be a course on the Depth Psychology of C. G. Jung. That would take you a couple of years but would be worth every minute.

To respond to the first part: I touched on that in my profile for Allexperts. If you go back to that you will see that I think the most important thing about creative writing is that you don't have to be a schooled, trained, writer to do it. But you must have the knowledge and discipline to make beautiful prose from a rough first draft. That requires rewriting may times.

I have learned the value of allowing my characters to come as they are needed, to allow them to help me write the story, and to make sure they are allowed to be true to themselves. I do not make cardboard characters and then fill in what I want to see. I allow them to be whole, with good and bad and right and wrong alongside each other.

I have also learned that so very many stories can be found in researching our own family history and that is one of my favorite fishing holes for story lines.

As for what my life has taught me...it is that forgiveness of people who have harmed us comes only when we have learned to see ourselves in them and them in ourselves. It is not apologies that bring our forgiveness, it is understanding.

I hope I have answered you well enough. If not, please come at me again.
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris