Writing Books/Things that your life and work has taught you

Question
Dear Nori

As a young and aspiring author, I would be grateful to receive some of your wisdom and knowledge.

Hence the following question:

What things have your life and work taught you about the art of writing, especially based on your special interests and subject covered by your writing?

I'm open to any advice or feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

PS. If you could have me read and master the contents of one book or course, what would it be?  

Answer
Dear Brian,
Thank you for your questions. Wow, these are the kinds of questions i like!

One is to let the writing flow. Don't restrain you writing in any way. Keep a journal and dump the contents of your mind whenever it gets too crowded up there. I've probably written a thousand words for every one that's been published.

Also, you can never learn too much about writing. Take writing classes and read books on writing. If you've never read a book on writing, start with The Elements of Style, by William Strunk, Jr. & E.B. White. That is the most important book for writers, especially the last chapter. Every professional writer must re-read this book every year.  There are a lot of good ones. For non-fiction the best one is On Writing Well, by William Zinsser. I once met Zinsser and thanked him for his book.

If you could have me read and master the contents of one book or course, what would it be?

I recommend American literature. It's something i put off until just recently. When i was in college i never took American Lit, thinking, "Who cares about a bunch of old, dusty books?" However, in recent years i started to feel left out, like here i am calling myself a writer and i never studied American Lit. So i bought a 84 lecture tape series and devoured it in twelve days. I'm on my second time through it now, and starting to read some of the actual books. There is a whole world in American Literature, so i recommend learning it, especially if you're an American. You need a teacher because some of it seems like a different language. Most of it is very complex and takes some getting used to before you can appreciate it. So far, my favorite is Emily Dickenson.

If you're from a different country, American Lit isn't as important, but consider studying the literature of your country. It always pays to know your own roots.

That's all for now. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to write back again. Also, to look up some good writing books, use the link at my writer's page:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html

Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster