Writing Books/Title of Book

I have been working on a book for awhile and I really like the title but I was wondering that if I send my query to a publisher or agent or whomever, what is to keep that person from stealing my title or even my idea for a book? Can you copyright the title? Is it necessary?

Dear Debbie,
Thank you for your question. Usually a reputible publisher or agent will not steal your idea or your title. However, i did go to one website of a big, big publisher. There was a statement at their website that said something like, "We do not accept un-agented works. We are not responsible for protecting your ideas if you send them to us." I was really shocked, like they were saying that if you send something to them, they can steal it. Anyway, that is not usually the case. Professional publishers and agents will not usually steal anything that is sent to them.
One way to protect your work is to join the Writer's Guild and put your manuscript on file with them. Another way is to mail the book to yourself and keep the envelope sealed. The envelope will be postmarked with a date to show when you started using the title. Or send a copy to your attorney and ask him/her to keep track of the date you started to use the title.
At any rate, it's probably best if you just work hard to get it published, then there will be no question about who owns the title (you).
At my site i have posted an article on how to find a publisher that might have some useful information for you:
If you have anymore questions, please write back again.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme,, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne),, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West,,

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle,,, Apple Books, and others.