Writing Books/Trends and demographics for book proposal.

Hello Liz,
I am currently writing my first non fiction book proposal, for my spiritual/self help book and ran into a snag. The outline for book proposals asks: Who are the millions of readers? What are the trends, demographics, and polls supporting this? Liz, where would I find this information? I have searched the web for hours. Please help!
Thank You,

Well, Staci, sometimes the old ways are the best.  I'd recommend going to your local library and asking the reference librarian.  He/She just lives for finding the arcane answer.  Ask her your question and I'm sure she can find more medical journals, census tables and poll results than you can shake a stick at.

Make sure you were running shoes, I'll be tough to keep up with him once he gets started!  I found all the statistics I needed for my ministers' wives book just by asking my reference librarian.  And that was from a library servicing a town of only 50,000 people.

So, good luck.  Let me know how you make out.

Liz Aleshire

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire

What is a book proposal and why do I need one? Do I need a book proposal for both nonfiction and fiction books? How do I write a book proposal? What are the required components of a book proposal? What is an overview? What is a synopsis? How do I find out what other books are available on my topic so I can make my book different? How do I pitch to an agent/publisher? What's a query letter? What's a 30-second commercial?

I am the author of four nonfiction books: Private Lives of Ministers' Wives (with Rev. Sherry Taylor,New Horizon Press, New Jersey, 1991)and currently working on a second edition; Bugs: Stingers, Suckers, Sweeties, Swingers (a FRanklin Watts Frist Book, Chicago, 1993); The Confident Collector Identification and Price Guid to Quilts (with Kathleen Barach, Avon Books, NY, 1992); and, Official Price Guide to Quilts 2nd edition(with Kathleen Barach, Random House, NY, 2003.) I've taught How to Write the Book Proposal for the past ten years at the week long International Women's Writing Guild annual summer conference, and, at the Manchester Community College Continuing Education program. I've taught in many local continuing education programs in central Connecticut. Five authors have sold books using my methods for writing the book proposal. I have spoken at the Big Apple Conference, an IWWG event held in NYC; both Connecticut chapters of the Romance Writer's of America other writing conferences

Internation Women's Writing Guild, past associate member American Society of Journalists and Authors

Books for New Horizon Press. NJ; Franklin Watts (Now Scolastic)Danbury, CT; Avon Books, NYC; and, Random House, NYC

B.A in Economics from the University of Connecticut

Past/Present clients
Carren Strock, author Married Women Who Love Women; Doris Larson, travel writer, Ohio; MaryLou Streznewsi author Gifted Grownups.