Writing Books/Word Definitions

Do you have any idea what the word exeleutherostomise means? I came across it in a book recently, and have found precious little regarding its meaning or origin.

Dear Max,

Are you certain of the spelling? If so, it's likely an anachronistic/archaic term derived from a Greek word relating to an obstruction of the bladder/kidney area, and/or the re-opening or creation of an artificial opening for peritoneal medical procedures -- that's as close as I can come to dissecting it, but I may be way off --

It does sound/look medical in nature, but other than that I don't know. They say if a word is not in the dictionary, it's not a word, but I don't subscribe to that line of thought! That's a hard one; good luck in finding out how that might translate, etc. Sorry I couldn't help more!

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin

I am an American-born, native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, and proofreading experience. I have edited several books and book-length manuscripts. References and titles available upon request.

For further work or assistance with larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can use British-English or American-English, and I am very familiar with Chicago and AP style.

More than 26 years' U.S. publishing industry experience, editorial (print). I provide crystal-clear, clean grammar; strict attention to style, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling, and I work quickly and efficiently.

I do not format or provide technical assistance in publishing books. I use MS Word only.

If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at My rate is $0.008 per word. Send requests/inquiries to I accept currency only through PayPal, with 50% of the total at project initiation; the balance is due upon project completion.

Editorial Freelancers' Association, USA

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate concentration: Post-war Irish poetry and early 18th century English fiction, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with authors in the UK, Canada, the US, and several other countries. References and titles available on request.