Writing Books/Word Processors

Question
I am beginning to write a non-fiction book which I will eventually submit to publishers.  I am familiar with WordPerfect and would like to use WordPerfect to write my book.  Will that be a problem?  Do most publishers prefer a submission in Microsoft Word?  I can learn Microsoft Word, if necessary.

What do you advise?

Answer
Hello Alorac:

That is a very good question. Word is such a popular program, nearly everyone has adopted it. I prefer WordPerfect myself, primarily because I love the "reveal codes" feature, which for all practical purposes is absent in Word. Another reason I don't like Word is that you can't open a WP document in Word without losing your formatting. On the other hand, WP 12 allows you to type in "Word Mode" and while I don't know exactly how that works, I would guess it gets around that problem.

I would say go ahead and write your first draft in WP, if you are more comfortable there, and while you are doing that, learn Word. They are not that much different when it comes down to it. Then write your second draft in Word. In the end, it depends on what your publisher wants, so you have a while before that will become an issue.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 700 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand