Writing Books/Words in a Chapter

Question
Dear Nori
I've got and 'idea' for a book. At the moment I'm in the middle of 'fleshing' it out in terms of chapter sequence/content etc. What concerns me at this stage is the number of words per chapter that an editor comes to expect. I find this a puzzling issue as I really dont know how long a chapter should be. Is there a recognised 'length' that must be adhered to or is it variable?

Cheers
Joe

Answer
Dear Joe,
Thank you for your question. Every book is different. Howver, you ask for a typical number of words, so this is just a general estimate.
If you're using Word with 10 pt. courrier type, double spaced, with one-inch margins, you will have approximately 25 lines per page with 10 wordsper line. So figure 250 words per page.
An average book is about 200 pages, so that's about 50,000 words. Chapters are usually about 15 or 20 pages. Just divide it up like that.
Also, when you transfer a Word document to the printed page it will come out a little shorter.
At my site I have posted an article on how to find a publisher that has more info. on writing book proposals. See:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster