Writing Books/Wriing my life story

Question
How and where do i begin? I have wanted to do this book for years. I will write it if it is only for myself, however i would like to think that i could get it published also. i have no idea how to make a start-help! I have determination, patience and a head full of writing; i have to get this onto paper.  

Answer
Dear Viv,
Thank you for your letter. Maybe there are some materials posted at my web site that can help. If it's fiction (or an autobiographical story that you want to write as a story like a novel), then read the Fiction Writer's Workshop. You can turn your life into a story if you feel it has that sort of flow to it.
Another way to write your life story is as a memoir. You said you don't care if it gets published, so if this is the case, then just get a wire notebook and a pen and start writing. Set the timer and keep the pen moving as you write down your memories. Write them as they come to you and worry about putting them in chronological order later on (maybe when you type it into the computer). If you're more comfortable with a keyboard, start that way.
If it's non-fiction (like if you study a particular subject and want to get your knowledge down on paper), I suggest you start with the book, "Writing the Natural Way," available through my good writing books links. That book is great for getting started. It can even help you if you're writing your own story.
I have also posted an article called "How to Find a Publisher," but you don't need a publisher to be able to write. My page for writers is:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster