Writing Books/Writer's Block

Question
Hello, I am an aspiring author and screenwriter. I am only in 7th grade but want a head start on my career path. I have been writing stories, mostly novels since 3rd grade. Unfortunately, for the past year and I have only been able to write the occasional poem. I am completely stuck in a writer's block and have no idea how to get out of it. Any advice at all would be helpful. I enjoy reading and writing fantasies, adventures, mysteries, and suspense.

Answer
Dear Holli,
Thank you for your letter. At my page for writers I have posted an article about breaking writers block, see:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
In addition to the information there, I will offer my thoughts about your particular situation. You say you like to write fantasies, adventures, mysteries, and suspense. That makes me think you probably like to read these genres as well. In addition to writing genre stories, I encouage you to investigate literary and mainstream fiction, as well. Let's see, you are starting high school (now or soon) and when you have the chance, I encourage you to study literature - American Lit, English Lit, World Lit, or whatever your high school offers. Also, consider studying languages - French, Spanish, German, Latin, or whatever you can get at your school. Writers love words and you will probably find the connections between the different languages will help you use words and find deeper meaning in words.
Always be patient with yourself when you get writer's block. It usually signals that you need to move to a higher level in your writing. You can do it.
Stay in contact.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster