Writing Books/Writer's Voice

I have often heard people speak about the 'writer's voice.' What exactly is it and how can I find my own?  

Dear Mo,

This is just a somewhat loose term that people use when referring to their particular style of writing; just as everyone has a certain way of speaking or walking, etc., we're also all different in that we have our own "voice" when writing.

It's a phrase that is tossed around in the industry quite a lot, similar to the phrase "the muse," as in: "Have you written a poem lately?" to which someone would answer, "No, the muse hasn't stopped by in quite some time," etc. It's just "lingo" that a person picks up.

You can only discover your own writing "voice" if you are in fact writing! It's an intangible thing; it's like comparing Hemingway to Fitzgerald; they largely wrote in the same genre and in the same time period, but the "voice" of each author is quite distinctly individual.

Another, more academic, meaning is often implied here, as well, such as when you're in a class, and the teacher asks, "What voice is this writer employing?" To this, one would reply, "The active voice," or "a deeply moody, dark, intense, depressed tone takes over; the voice becomes mellow, then almost indistinct."

I hope this helps answer your question! There are really many meanings to "the voice," none of which is very easy to explain!

Thanks for writing --

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin

I am an American-born, native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, and proofreading experience. I have edited several books and book-length manuscripts. References and titles available upon request.

For further work or assistance with larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can use British-English or American-English, and I am very familiar with Chicago and AP style.

More than 26 years' U.S. publishing industry experience, editorial (print). I provide crystal-clear, clean grammar; strict attention to style, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling, and I work quickly and efficiently.

I do not format or provide technical assistance in publishing books. I use MS Word only.

If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at My rate is $0.008 per word. Send requests/inquiries to I accept currency only through PayPal, with 50% of the total at project initiation; the balance is due upon project completion.

Editorial Freelancers' Association, USA

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate concentration: Post-war Irish poetry and early 18th century English fiction, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with authors in the UK, Canada, the US, and several other countries. References and titles available on request.