Writing Books/Writing

Question
ok I am writing a book and would like to know how to Format my manuscript with 1.5 inch margins all around? Also using full justification? I know I sound writing stupid but wanted to understand this, because I can only use wordpad at the moment.

Answer
Dear Sabrina:

I have never used Wordpad.  The program of choice for our craft is Microsoft Word.  You are correct about the 1.5" margins all the way around, however, don't forget to add 1/2" between the top of your page and your header or slugline.  Also, the first page of every new story, essay, or chapter always begins half-way down the page, leaving the top half blank for publishers and editors to write notes to themselves, other departments, or to you.

NEVER USE JUSTIFICATION, EVER, EVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (UNLESS YOU ARE THE PUBLISHER AND PRINTER AND YOU ARE DESIGNING THE PAGE).

You should include the following books in your home and office library to refer to for formatting rules: The Chicago Manual of Style; The Writer's Digest Guide to Manuscript Formats by Dian Dincin Buchman & Seli Groves.  The second book is a must have, but may be hard to locate.  Go to my web site at http://www.successliterary.com and using the left-hand green menu click onto the 'Pro's Bookshelf' page.  On that page you will find the 'AddAll' book engine.  Use it to find 'The Writer's Digest Guide to Manuscript Formats by Dian Dincin Buchman & Seli Groves.'  If you can't find it by title, then try using author.  I know for a fact it is still out there, just limited.

If your question was of a more technical nature, such as "How do I use Wordpad?", then I would go to Google and input "Wordpad; instructions how to" or try the computing section of AllExperts.

Best of luck!
Max Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor