Writing Books/Writing Books

Question
Hi, Bobbie,
Thanks for volunteering here.  You will find it to be one of the most rewarding things you ever do.  I've been an "expert" here in the "teen help" category for several years, and knowing I've actually blessed lives has been wonderful for me.
First, you need to go to your home page and correct a typo I noticed (I edit a bit myself) where you said you liked all aspects of "writing, editing and publishing" I think you got an extra "h" in "publishing" you might want to remove.  ;)
Second, I began life as a newspaper reporter, and have only written nonfiction.  I tried a little fiction in a screenplay once, but it started feeling "wrong" and I ended up taking out everything I couldn't prove conclusively, like a stupid journalist!  I had a fabulous imagination as a child, but at the age of 53 it's rapidly racing my sanity downhill.  I love young adult/children's fantasy (just finished Brandon Mull's FABLEHAVEN--a wonderful, well-written story) and would love to try my hand at YA Sci Fi, but I'm afraid!  An old woman, set in her ways, I suppose.  Any suggestions?

Answer
Thank you for catching the typo. I saw it and didn't know how to access my information to repair it. Turns out it was a breeze. I'm a great editor, but a terrible typist and still a little intimidated by the Internet.

I also spent time as a newspaper reporter and still write mostly nonfiction, but Iím older than you and Iím still trying new things, so age is no excuse. Fear is a funny thingóit is unreal, something we create in our imaginations, and in this case something you imagined with a brain you are trying to say is no longer imaginative! Some people say that FEAR stands for False Evidence Appearing Real. If we let fear stop us, it wins, and we never go anywhere. Whether you have a fear of success, a fear of failure, a fear of wasting time, a fear of rejection, a fear of not having the right skills, or any other fear, the only way to get past it is to move forward despite the fear. Donít you think that tightrope walkers have the fear that they might fall? The possibility is always there, but the fear does not stop them from performing. They put one foot in front of the other and keep moving forward.

Thatís my biggest suggestion: move forward, no matter what those voices inside your head say. Give them a nod, thank them for sharing, and move forward anyway. Sit down and write, and if you donít like it, revise it until you do. Donít let anything stop you.  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas