Writing Books/Writing in the Fantasy Mold

Currently I'm tentatively writing in the field of fantasy. Though I like the way my book is going, do you have any suggestions on how to avoid some of the common fantasy pit falls that are prevalent in literature?
Examples include some of the hopelessly cliched plot elements of "Girl meets Boy, hate each other, then grow to love each other”, the "Evil villain attempts to capture an artifact of unimaginable strength" and the slightly less well known on of having your characters speak in a slightly British accent.
Any advice would be helpful, seeing that I'm around 100 pages (double-spaced) in, and am trying to steer well clear of the more aggravating ones.

Dear Mr. Lai:

Contrary to your opinion, cliched plot elements are not a problem.  Every writer would like to believe that he has written an original piece of work.  In fact, nothing new exists under the sun; how is that for a cliche?

Don't concern yourself with what has or has not been written.  Do concern yourself with clearly developing your own spin, your own voice, your own style on any plot, story, or theme elements.  Concentrate on excellence of craft.  Indeed, most successful writers have made it a point to study and use good versus evil or the gender wars.

I hope this puts a different spin on an age-old literary problem that never really existed.

Youngbear Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor

My specialist area is literary and philosophical fiction. I am pleased to answer all queries regarding story, plot, character arc and development, environment, structure, theme, subtext, and conflict.

Past/Present clients
Numerous client references may be found at: under 'References'. Their contact information is available on request.