Writing Books/Writing a Novel

Question
Hi I'm a young female girl
and i enjoy reading i enjoy it so much that i want to start writing a book myself.
i have already thought of the names of my charecters and i have thought of some of the names of my chapters but i am having truble writing it out on the computer i want to know how to best do it.
and how many words do i have to have?

Answer
Hello Diane:

So you are young and you want to write - excellent! There is no better time for you to get started than right now!

A word of caution: writing a book is a long and arduous project that may well take years to complete. It requires a great deal of self-discipline, a willingness to devote part of your life to writing on a regular basis (in competition with your friends and activities), and enough passion to carry you through to the end. Since these are qualities that most often come in later life, some people would say it's very unlikely that a person of your age has what it takes to complete a book.

For this reason, I usually suggest that young people start out with baby steps until you develop these qualities. The first step is to learn all you can about writing; take all the composition courses you can, read books about writing and continue reading. Work on your spelling and punctuation and resolve to send nothing out (not even an email) until it is free of spelling and/or punctuation errors.

When you write, concentrate on short pieces. Write character descriptions, bits of action, dialogue, description, etc., a paragraph or a page or two. Date your work and keep it in a safe place.

Join a few writing forums - you can find them at groups.yahoo.com, geocities and MSN - and put these bits up for critique. Take the comments seriously and apply them to your work. The purpose of this is to teach you how to recognize good work when you see it, especially your own.

Read with a writer's eye: take a book you admire, and try to figure out how the author achieved the effects they wanted. Pay particular attention to emotions - if you have a strong emotional reaction to certain passages, try to determine how the author caused it.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 700 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand