Writing Books/Writing biographies

Hello again and thank you so much for you quick response, i would like to share the beginning of my book with you please could you let me know if i am going about it the right way i have not shown it to anyone yet as i guess im scared of them laughing at me.Please tell me what you think and thanks for your time.

I wanted to write an autobiography, people may laugh and smirk because I'm not a celebrity or anyone rich and famous, or even anyone with a wicked secret to reveal, nope I'm just an ordinary gal who loves life and the things that get thrown in with it!
I believe that everyone has a vision or dream in life and mine, along with getting a degree, has always been to write about myself, regardless of whether it will ever get published or not, or even if anyone will be interested in reading it.

I always wanted to write so I could put down all my recollectable memories from my life, including good, bad, sad and happy times and also so my children, grandchildren and friends could read about me and know what my life was like as I was growing up.

Looking back now, the main occasions that pop into my head are the senseless confusion at play school and trying to understand the concept of sharing and getting along with other kids even though I didn't want to. Then
going to secondary school and the terror of trying to make sense of my surroundings as well as trying to make new friends. Then realising that that was the least of my fears…I still had to overcome university, finding a job and marriage….oh, and the dreaded in-laws!!!

Throughout my autobiography I try to write about everything I can remember, so here goes, starting with my earliest memory……..

Life for me began at 7.30 on the morning of 30th October 1977, obviously I don't remember entering the world but from what my mum tells me I wasn't an easy child to handle, (no smart comments please!). I am the first child and the only daughter of my parents Ashvin and Gita Patel. I also have a brother called Milan who is a year younger then me.

Hello Ms. Varsha:

Writing is an art, not a science, so no one can tell you whether or not you are going about it "in the right way." If you have decided that is the absolute best beginning you can think of, then you should use it. But here are some hints in regard to beginnings: the beginning is the most important part of the book. It will be the first thing your readers (editors, too!) look at. It is your one chance to grab the reader and pull her into the book. If the beginning is boring, the reader will quickly close the book and go onto another. The beginning as it stands now has nothing to pull the reader in. No one cares where you were born or what time - why should they? You have given them no reason to care. You have about two paragraphs to make your readers care about you. There are a couple of ways to do it - the quickest, easiest and most effective way is through emotion. Humans connect through emotions - we all know what it's like to feel angry, jealous, deeply sad, intoxicatingly happy, etc. Another way is through action. If you look out your window and see 25 clowns in white togas dancing down the street, I guarantee you that you will not be able to rest until you find out what's going on.

If you actually intend to write about every "recollectable memory" you can dredge up, you must realize (1) that you will never finish it, and (2) no one will ever want to read it. The more you think about your life, the more small, mundane, trivial incidents you will be able to remember (at least that's the theory) - those should be left out. Would you be interested in reading what color dress someone wore to her prom? Does it matter? If the fact or incident has no drama, no emotional significance, leave it out. Trust me on this.

You are wise not to worry about what other people think of your work. Stephen King has been sneered at. Also William Faulkner, Judy Blume, Danielle Steel and most other writers. If they let that stop them, they wouldn't be where they are today, would they?

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be appreciated. I am proud of my "straight 10" record over 185+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication