Writing Books/Writing a book

Question
Dear Nori,
I am interested in writing a book, with several different ideas for topics, but dont know how and where to get started, or even if I ought to get started.
I need more information regarding everything that would be involved as well as the possibility of getting published and renumeration for the time invested.
the kinds of books i was intereseted in writing would falli into non fiction:
one topic :
the culture of medicine, an inside look.
medical school, challenges, and opportunities
Becoming a doctor: coronation or condemnation

other topics of interest to me:
the south asian experience in america
muslim america vis a vis the terrorist threat

Answer
Dear  Umer,

Thank you for your questions. At my web site I have posted a page for writers with articles on how to find a publisher and a few other things you need to get started. For non-fiction writing I recommend several books, The Elements of Style is the most important book for all writers, especially the last chapter on style. Also, On Writing Well, and the Natural Way to Write. You can find more about these books, which are linked to my writers page at
http://steamboats.com/writing.html

The Natural Way to Write is the best book on “clustering.” That's where you write down your main idea in one word, circle it, then draw spokes coming out from the word and you write down associated words. The brain does not think in a linear way, but more like the spider web of thoughts you get through clustering. Using clustering is a good way to get started. The main challenge is to get the words from your head onto paper, then you start writing and making outlines.

The subjects you want to write about sound valuable and you might have a good chance of finding a publisher. However, don't write a book for money alone. Write for love. Having a book will open doors for you and make you an expert in your field. For example, if you are a doctor, having a book will help you in your career. If you want to expand your career, having a book is the best way to do it.

I hope this helps. Feel free to write back later if you have more questions down the line.

Sincerely,
Nori  

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster