Writing Books/Writing books

I was wondering how I can locate a publisher without submitting a manuscript right of the bat. I am a beginner and I really don't have anything on the table per se. I want to also learn how to write a good book or at least a book that will get published. Are there any sites that I don't have to pay a fee for? I don't have the funds to take a course or buy a kit.

"Locating" a publisher is quite simple.  Here's Google's directory of book publishers:

However, if you don't currently have a manuscript to submit, finding a publisher may not be what you need to do.  If you're a fiction author, this is especially true.  Publishers of fiction expect you to have a completed manuscript.  If you write non-fiction, you have a bit more leeway, and you might be able to successfully pitch an idea for a book by submitted a book proposal to them.  Your local library should also have a copy of the lastest WRITER'S MARKET, which can guide you along these lines, too.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.