Writing Books/Writing efficiency

Question
I have an extraordinary story to write having now completed the plot, character, subject, and conflict notes.

My problem is that the actual story is so vast, and I feel that the writing is going too slowly. Do you have any tips for efficient writing so that I may complete this story before the next bicentennial…?

-Nils Boisen

Answer
Hello Nils,

What do you mean..."so vast"?  How many pages would it be? How many years would it cover? How many characters do you follow? War and Peace is a vast novel, but it did get written.

My only tip for efficient writing is that you do a complete first rough draft, all the way to The End, with no care for correct grammar, sentence structure or editing until the entire story is on paper. And yes, it will be quite rough. But then you can go back and rewrite with the purpose of organization, polish, balance, editing, cutting and pasting, deleting and adding. This is how I write and it works quite well for me.  Also, another tip is that you might break it up into two novels, if it is so vast that it is overwhelming your abilities.

Take care that you are not giving too many detailed descriptions of either characters or places and scenes.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris