Writing Books/Writing experience/degree needed?

Question
Hi.  Thank you for participating in this service.

I am a beginning writer.  I have college degrees in other areas but not in English or Journalism.  During college, my English professor pulled me aside and suggested I consider a career in writing but of course I didn't consider it.  Is it necessary for me to obtain a writing related degree in order to write and be taken serious as a writer?  I have enrolled in an online writing class through Writiers Digest.  There are several available.  Will these courses help me develop my writing skills or must I pursue a college degree?

You would greatly put my mind to rest by giving me your feelings on this subject.

Thank you so much.

KHW

Answer
Dear KHW,
Thank you for your letter. You do not need a degree in writing or journalism. The Writer's Digest classes will help you. I took their novel writing class and got a lot out of it. I'm sure their other classes are up to the same caliber.
Make writing your passion and a lifelong learning project. Read lots of writing books, stay involved with other writers in writing classes and writer's support groups, and write every day.
Also, get a day job that earns money. Or, get a job in journalism, research, teaching, business, or any career where you use writing.  
Writing only turns a profit after you have a following to buy your books. So, two tracks: one to earn money and one to follow your passion. When you are earning enough money in writing, then quit your other job.
I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Nori

P.S. My page for writers is: http://steamboats.com/writing.html

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster