Writing Books/Writing without a formal education

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a writer. I am a published Poet and would desperately like to become a non fiction freelance writer full time. My only set back is that I do not have a college degree. I dropped out of school four times and truly would rather not go back. However, I am afraid it is the only way I would truly be successful as a writer. My husband feels that I should simply take part in seminars and short creative writing courses, instead of making another attempt at earning a degree. Please advise!

I think a few writing workshops would definitely help you hone your skill. They're a great way to receive a lot of honest feedback from multiple people, and a great chance for you to share your own ideas with others.

I don't think you necessarily need a college degree in writing to be a good writer. You just need to practice, and you need some extra help along the way to point out what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. Also, the more you read, the better. I can't stress this enough!

If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to help you out with your writing, if you have any available now. My usual fee for on-spec editing help is $6 per page or a flat fee, but I enjoy helping out starting writers and typically offer $3 per page for introductory help. What I would do is basically go through your writing line-by-line to isolate any mistakes I can find, and then I also include a critique filled with suggestions for helping you improve your writing.

Please feel free to email me with any more questions!

Kenneth Brosky

Writing Books

Kenneth Brosky

I can answer any question related to grammar, English style usage, and elements of fiction in addition to helpful advice on plot, characterization and setting, or any general writing questions.

Past/Present clients
Too numerous to mention. Email for testimonials!