Writing Books/Writing process

Question
I am thinking of writing either a sci-fi book or a fanatsy book.  I have a few ideas, but the question I have is:
Should I just write the story or should I kind of have a plot outline before I actually write the book or story?

I seem able to write a chapter or two but then don't know where to go from there.  I am not sure if I should have a whole bunch of "outside stuff" writen to build a framework to work the story within....
Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hello Andrew,

I cannot tell you what you should do. I can only tell you what works for me.

Outlines work for some people but not for me.  I just write the story and while I am being creative, I do not edit, censor, correct, or any any way disrupt the creative flow. I allow characters to come as they are needed and allow them to help write the story. They tell me who they are and what part they will play.  Often I do not know what will happen until it happens, giving me as much excitement in writing as my readers get in reading. I never know how the story will progress or end before I am writing it.

It is only after I have the complete, very rough draft of the entire story that I go back to rewrite. I do as many of these as necessary to edit, correct, add and delete, structure and polish until I am happy with the end result. This was especially true in my second book. The plot unfolded as I was creating.

One of the reasons you may not be able to get beyond two chapters is that you stop to do the editing work as you write, constantly disrupting the creative flow.
I hope I have helped a little.
Merry Christmas,
Dorothy  

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris