Writing Books/agents

Question
Liz,

I have a question. Is it okay to send out simultaneous queries to agents for a non-fiction book proposal? If they request to see the proposal, can I send it to several agents at the same time?  If I send a proposal to an agent and then tell another agent that I will send it to them if the first agent rejects it, doesn't that work against me? And what if another agent asks to see the proposal and I like their agency better? Help!

Thanks for your advice, Jill

Answer
Dear Jill:
It is perfectly acceptable to simultaneous submit query letters to agents if you tell them in the letter that you are doing so.

However, I would not simultaneously submit a requested proposal.  If you do get more than one request to submit a proposal for your nonfiction book, pick the agent you want to work with the most and send it only to that one.  When you receive a response from the first agent and it is a no, then submit to the next agent on your list.

You are also right that to let one agent know that your proposal is out to someone else and they will only get it if the first agent rejects it is a no-no.

It's a hurry up and wait business, Jill.  I'm just thankful that we can simultaneously submit queries!

Good luck!  Let me know how you make out!

Liz Aleshire
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire