Writing Books/attempted 17 times to write about my career as a Chicago Gang Crimes Detective

Question
I wrote a short story to Readers Digest years ago, they denied publishing it because it was to violent.I have started to write about 17 times, how do I start and keep it interesting to continue on into the story.
Thank you! Greg Zito

Answer
Dear Greg,
Thank you for the fascinating question. You obviously have a wonderful story to tell, and probably a very important one. A memoir of your career, should be a very interesting proposition for any publisher.

My suggestion is that you find yourself a literary agent to work with. An ageent will review what you have written, suggest changes - may even say "start again"! But it is VERY important to have this relationship with an agent as they will facilitate the placing of the book with a publisher. Most publishers will not even read a manuscript that comes direct from a writer.

Finding a literary agent is almost as hard as finding a publisher, but a one page synopsis, and an outline of the book, should be enough to interest any agent, as your story sounds fascinating.

I wish you the best of luck.

cheers

Sandy  

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon