Writing Books/book length

Question
Hi, I've been writing for a long time now and I have decided to put it all down into text. My question is how many words should I expect to have once my work is completed? How long should it be? What goals should I shoot for as I am completing my work and How should it be formatted. Also, is there any books I can read to help me get started?

Answer
There are no hard and fast rules about how long a novel "should" be.  For a first novel, however, I have it on good authority that the major publishers like to see it tick in at about 90,000 words, or not much more than that.  

Submission formats are pretty straightforward: white paper, double spaced, 1" margins all around, 12 pt. font such as Courier or Times Roman.  

Plenty of books.  Books out the wazoo.  One of the most important would be a market guide, such as Writer's Market, which is published annually.  This book will give you even more specific formatting tips, plus you'll be able to find out exactly what the publishers are looking for, and what their submission guidelines are.  Very handy.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales