Writing Books/Getting a book published

Question
Hi. I am in the process of writing a horror novel, and have 2 more book ideas in store. I really need advice on how to go about putting a good letter in to a book publisher. I have the "Writer's Market" 2004 book, but I am still not sure how to go about finding a submitting a letter and book idea.
Thanks for any help... Carissa M

Answer
Dear Carissa,
Thank you for your letter and congratulations for getting underway with your book. At my site I have posted an article called, "How to Find a Publisher."
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
You have the Writer's Market, so that's a start. Make sure they ask for horror novels or you'll just be wasting your money. Usually you have to send out to a couple dozen prospects before one will reply favorably.
With genre fiction, the most important thing is the writing. If the publisher or agent likes the writing, you have a great chance at selling your book.
Be sure to include the following in your proposal:
cover letter
SASE (with enough postage to send everything back)
synopsis
plan for marketing the book / intended audience
chapter one (or more if you can afford lots of postage)
They will judge your book by the first chapter, so make sure it draws the reader in. You need to create a situation right off, so the reader feels driven to find out what happens. I'm sure you know that, but really, publishers and agents are looking for writers who can tell a good story.
I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Nori  

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster