Writing Books/is my book subject sellable

Question
first off let me say thank you for taking your time to answer my question.  i have never written a book or novel before so i am very green to this world.  my book is about a cowboy and how his life has taken him across country.  it includes lost love and adventure. any help you could give me on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Dear Trevor,
Thank you for your letter. And since you thanked me, let me tell you you're welcome. Answering questions through this site has been a lot of fun.
I like the idea of a cowboy who travels to the wild west. Throw in some lost love and adventure and you could have a great story.
The cowboy is a major archetype for Americans. He symbolizes freedom, individualism, loneliness, and a whole lot more. The cowboy out on the praire is a powerful symbol. Read up on archetypes and the symbolism of the cowboy. A good book on the subject is A Cry for Myth, by Rollo May.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385306857/steamboatshop
There are a lot of books you could consult on this subject. Also check out Joseph Campbell, Hero with a Thousand Faces, and so on.
Also, you will have to get a plot going and start it on the first page. To do this you need to plan your characters and know them better than you know your best friends.
At my page for writers i have posted a Fiction Writers Workshop that will help you get organized. If you follow it step by step, you will be able to sit down and write your book pretty fast.
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
A story like this could be turned into a screenplay, so when you're writing it, concentrate on the scenes and imagine how they would fit together in a movie.
As part of your research watch a half dozen or so Westerns after reading Rollo May's book.
After you get your manuscript going, write back and we can talk about how to look for a publisher. Start to worry about that after you have written about 3/4 of the story.
In the meantime if you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to write back.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster