Writing Books/is my book subject sellable

first off let me say thank you for taking your time to answer my question.  i have never written a book or novel before so i am very green to this world.  my book is about a cowboy and how his life has taken him across country.  it includes lost love and adventure. any help you could give me on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Trevor,
Thank you for your letter. And since you thanked me, let me tell you you're welcome. Answering questions through this site has been a lot of fun.
I like the idea of a cowboy who travels to the wild west. Throw in some lost love and adventure and you could have a great story.
The cowboy is a major archetype for Americans. He symbolizes freedom, individualism, loneliness, and a whole lot more. The cowboy out on the praire is a powerful symbol. Read up on archetypes and the symbolism of the cowboy. A good book on the subject is A Cry for Myth, by Rollo May.
There are a lot of books you could consult on this subject. Also check out Joseph Campbell, Hero with a Thousand Faces, and so on.
Also, you will have to get a plot going and start it on the first page. To do this you need to plan your characters and know them better than you know your best friends.
At my page for writers i have posted a Fiction Writers Workshop that will help you get organized. If you follow it step by step, you will be able to sit down and write your book pretty fast.
A story like this could be turned into a screenplay, so when you're writing it, concentrate on the scenes and imagine how they would fit together in a movie.
As part of your research watch a half dozen or so Westerns after reading Rollo May's book.
After you get your manuscript going, write back and we can talk about how to look for a publisher. Start to worry about that after you have written about 3/4 of the story.
In the meantime if you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to write back.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme,, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne),, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West,,

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle,,, Apple Books, and others.