Writing Books/butterflyman@closecall.com

Question
I have a Children's Book project. It's for ages 3-6. A picture book titled Here is what I would do if no one were looking. It will have illustrations(Published would do as I am not an illustrator) I'm stalled, but recently had some comments by a person that dabbles in Children's Books & a Adult Author that has published 7 good selling books. I'm doing a revision & one area thay suggested is to get rid of the negativity in the book. For instance one page will read"I'd open the door & let all the pretty butteflies in". O.K, but I'd cut brothers hair and save dad money(No way they say ) Over all they have said the idea is great, my format excellent , layout very good. So do you have any suggestions as I make my revision on this stalled project before I do some more submissions. THANKS for your time.

Answer
Dear Bill,
Thanks for your letter and for sharing your children's book with me. Yes, children's book publishers are conservative on what they publish. It's the same way in young adult novels. I wrote a ya novel about a young artist who moves into a cult compound for six weeks one summer and falls in love with one of the brainwashed converts. She never actually believes in the cult, but is only there to work as an artist to make decorations for some festivals the group has. She leaves the cult to start college and eventually gets the young man to leave too. However, joining a cult is a taboo subject and it was impossible to publish the novel.
With your book, I would agree that there are some things you wouldn't want to advise kids to do, like, "Here's a really fun game. Sneak into your parents' medicine cabinet and take some of the pretty colored capsuels . . . " He he! 8-)
However, don't tone the book down too much. There's also the risk of making it too bland. Selling a children's book is hard because there's already a lot of competition. So, in other words, keep trying to sell it, but don't dumb it down every time you get a rejection letter. Collect the rejection letters in a folder and praise yourself for how big your collection is growing.
There's a writers market specifically for children's book writers, so keep on trying until you've queried every publisher. At my site I have posted a link to the children's writer's market, as well as a short article on how to find a publisher.
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
Best to you!
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster