Writing Books/changes to a contract

If you have concerns about something in an agency contract, what is the best thing to do?

The best thing to do is to express your concerns to the agent.  No contract is immutable; you can always make changes to it, so long as both parties agree.  In the case of the item we've been discussing, I would explain that although it's reasonable for an agency to wish to avoid time-consuming and expensive lawsuits, the clause as written is of dubious merit, as it would also protect the agency in the event of outright theft.  

As I implied before, there's no way I would personally ever sign a contract that had this or any similar stipulation.  If you can get it stricken from the contract, that would be a good thing.

As with all contracts, though, it's best to seek the advice of a contract attorney before signing.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.