Writing Books/characters

Question

-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
hi, how do you create and develope character's personalities and traits, and then run with them?

Answer -
Hello Hailey,

My method is so personal that I don't know if it will work for you.  I simply allow my characters to show themselves when they are needed. With no effort on my part, while I am writing, a character will appear. I allow that character to tell me who he is, what part he will play and he/she actually helps me write the story.  It is as though the character is speaking to me through my fingers. I don't manipulate them. I allow them to be what they want to be and play the role they desire to play and I am true to them.

When I write I don't edit, censor, construct or correct until I have a completed rough draft.  Then I go back for the many re-writes until I am satisfied with the end product.

I do hope this helps you, but I understand if it does not.  We writers all have our unique ways and methods.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

thanks
what do you do when you run into a block in your mind and dont know where or how to go on?
hailey

Answer
Hello Hailey,

That has never happened to me.  Every time I think I may be approaching a place where I don't know what will happen next, invariably, the scene keeps on rolling on and on. Sometimes I feel myself creating a difficult situation and have no idea how it will play out, but when I sit down to type the resolution comes.  Often I use quiet time to allow my mind to float around and about a situation. A bicycle ride, a walk, sitting or driving in car pool, these work for me.

Are you editing and correcting each page or each chapter as you write?  Are you making it pretty for your family or friends to read parts before it is finished?  If you are, that is the key to your block.  If this is the case, let me know and I'll help you here.
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris