Writing Books/Getting a children's book published

Question
Hello, I am writing on behalf of a writer friend of mine who doesn't have the internet.  She has recently written a book series for kids k-3rd grade.  The characters are an African-American family.  She doesn't have an agent and is not sure if she should get one.  She is a very talented writer, so I am trying to help her out.  Do you have any advice?

Answer
Dear Emily,
Thank you for your letter. It sounds like a good project. Your friend does not need an agent, but should send inquiries directly to small to medium size publishers. Writers Market publishes a directory specifically for children's publishers. Writers Market also has an online data base that is easy to use and costs only $30 a year. Tell your friend to read the article at my page for writers on how to find a publisher:
http://steamboatscom/writing.html
and to either join Writers Market or buy the children's publisher directory. Tell her to keep trying, don't get discouraged by rejection letters. All published authors have a big collection.
I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster