Writing Books/children's books

Question
Should the illustrator have input into the plot of a children's book?

Answer
Hello Julianne,

Agreements between illustrators and authors of children stories vary, but they should work closely together so that the images produced will match the plot.

I've hired illustrators to illustrate my books and have found that the input mainly lies: to where in the book the illustrations should go; how many will be used; and the colours and style of illustrations that should be included; and of course the accreditations. There is usually a percentage that the illustrators will get for your use of their illustrations.

Hope this helps,

J.L.

Writing Books

J.L. Slipak