Writing Books/children's books

Should the illustrator have input into the plot of a children's book?

Hello Julianne,

Agreements between illustrators and authors of children stories vary, but they should work closely together so that the images produced will match the plot.

I've hired illustrators to illustrate my books and have found that the input mainly lies: to where in the book the illustrations should go; how many will be used; and the colours and style of illustrations that should be included; and of course the accreditations. There is usually a percentage that the illustrators will get for your use of their illustrations.

Hope this helps,

Writing Books

J.L. Slipak

Novel writing is my specialty but I've several articles advocating for human rights and the rights of special needs. I've also written children stories, historical romance, fantasy, trilogies, and non-fiction. I have editorial experience and have worked with literary agents, self-publishing, publishing companies in both the United States and Canada. I imagine I can answer any questions asked about this field, and if not, can direct the question to someone who could.

six articles, two novels, three children's books, two triologies and currently working on an auto-biography

BFA, working towards my masters