Writing Books/compilation book

I have a great idea for a compilation book, including stories, poetry, etc. collected from others.  First of all, I'm wondering if there are any legal obligations I need to be aware of up front, as I begin collecting submissions from people.  But also, I need to know more about the whole process in general.  This is new territory to me, but I really believe in my idea.  I think it could be really sucessful, if I just figure out how to make it happen.  Any advice you may have would be appreciated, or if you could point me in a direction, to where I can find more information about how to compile books like this.  I really appreciate any help you can give me!  Thank you!

Jennifer Colby

Dear Jennifer,
Thank you for your questions. If you print someone else's story or poem, you must obtain a release. It can be as simple as "I, [name of author], grant Jennifer Colby unlimited permission to use my [poem, story] in her book, [title], for publication. In exchange, I will recieve one copy of the book." Signed, dated.
Getting permission to use the material may seem like the easy part once you try find a publisher. At my site i have posted an article called, How to Find a Publisher."
You will need to write a good cover letter, synopsis, etc., and start sending it out to likely publishers.
Finding a good publisher might seem like the easy part once the book is published, because then you will have to help the publisher sell it. People often complain that the publisher isn't giving their book enough publicity, but it's really up to the author(s). Your contributors can also help. Basically, you will need to set up appearances in bookstores and other venues to promote the book.
Also at my web pages is a link to good writing books. You'll see there are many good books available on how to get published and how to promote your book.
I wish you the best. If you want to talk further, please write back again.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme,, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne),, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West,,

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle,,, Apple Books, and others.