Writing Books/computer programs

What program should I write my book on so as I can have pages in there right order when I go to print it.This book is going to be a non-fiction.
I have Windows XP.
Thank YOU

Hello Warren!

Windows XP is your operating system (OS). What I need to know is what word processing program you are using, unless you are writing on a website. And it's "their" not "there." "There" is a place.

If you are using a popular WP program like WordPerfect or MS Word, it is easy to number your pages so that it automatically inserts the page number as you go, and no matter how violently you cut and paste.

In WordPerfect (9):  Go to Format/page/insert page number/page/ insert.

In Word (2003): Go to Insert/page number/choose position/ align.

If you have problems with this, go to computers/software and say what's happening. You'll get a quick, thorough and useful answer from my friends there. Tell 'em I sent you.

As for "writing programs," I would not spend the money on one of these because it is so easy to learn formatting with today's advanced word processing programs.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 250+ questions.

And good luck with your book!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication