Writing Books/copyright

Question
I have written several books however I'm apprehensive about sending them out because of the copyright issue. Should I have my work registered for copyrights before I submit it to an unknown entity?  Otherwise, how can I protect my work from being "stolen" from me during the submission process?  This issue has been holding me back for sometime and I appreciate any information you may be able to provide.  Thank you for your time.  

Answer
Dear Edna:

I certainly understand your concern but I hasten to add that you need worry only if you're considering sending your manuscript out to scurrilous or unethical publishers.  Since we all want to be published by only the best houses, I don't think you'll be dealing with the dregs of the publishing industry.

Most writers don't know this but your work is copyright protected at the time you write it.  You need a copyright registration so that you can prove that you were the first one to write the book that was plagiarized.  There is another way to protect yourself that doesn't involve a registered copyright.  Send yourself a copy of the manuscript through the US mail.  The postage mark on the envelope is proof of when you wrote it.  Then, if you find it's been stolen after you've sent it out, you can bring suit and use the postmark as a date of ownership.

Now let me tell you why all this is unnecessary.  There are 50,000 books published each and every year.  There are probably 500,000 submissions from hopeful authors to publishers each and every year.  With 500,000 stories to pick from, why would a publisher take on the hassle of stealing someone's work?  They'll either like your books and buy them, or, not like them and send them back to you.  DO NOT LET THE STEALING ISSUE HOLD YOU BACK ANY LONGER!  Submit, submit, submit!  Just make sure you're submitting to reputable agents and publishers and not some fly by night crooks.  Literary Market Place, available at your local library or by subscription on line, will list only reputable agents and publishers.  Pick some from their list and get those books out there!  Please!

Don't let this issue delay you any longer!

Best of luck!

Liz Aleshire
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire