Writing Books/crossing genres

Question
Is it relevant to cross horror with realistic fiction, and what authors have done this?

Answer
It is relevant and feasible to cross horror with realistic fiction. Stephen King has more or less done this through his numerous novels, as well as RL Stine of the Goosebumps series.

An issue comes up when you address how "realistic" you want your fiction to be. The more realistic the fiction is, the less wiggle room for the horror. For example, at its strictest, realistic fiction won't allow for real werewolves, vampires, etc. (although psychopaths could masquerade as them).

Of course, horror is not only about blood, gore, monsters, tense mysteries, etc. Horror is an expression of one of humanity's darkest, most primitive emotion: fear. Fear is still with us today, strong as ever, and this is partly why horror with realistic fiction is relevant.

Writing Books

Tabitha